The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) is the world’s largest organization dedicated to improving mathematics education for all students. NCTM is the public voice of math education, providing vision, leadership, and professional development to teachers.
NCTM is seeking a Conference Manager to plan and implement NCTM’s Annual Meetings and 2020 Centennial Conference.
- Plans, forecasts and manages budgets for meetings.
- Establish and communicate timelines for meetings.
- Manages on-site staff and priorities to ensure all requested services are met on-site, including set up and break down of all areas.
- Create facility specs to include instructions for meeting space, AV, electrical, furniture, keys, signage, telephone and internet.
- Work with facility contacts to ensure all meeting requirements are fulfilled.
- Lead and conduct meetings to discuss major planning deadlines, status reports and provide pertinent information about the meeting or institute.
- Provide facility tours as needed prior to event.
- Lead post-meeting requirements such as information gathering, discussions, bill reconciliation, and create reports.
- Attend debriefing meetings with vendors and facilities.
Supervise all housing needs for the NCTM Annual Meeting.
Serve as primary contact for Housing Bureau vendor.
Manage housing contracts, tracks housing inventory, room blocks and booking pace.
Negotiate and assign hotel concessions for the Board of Directors, staff, and vendors.
Create and manage direct billing with hotels to create master accounts.
Participate in on-site visits to select venues for future events.
- Create RFP's, obtain bids, and negotiate contracts with vendors.
- Ensure all contractual needs are met to include deposits and certificate of liability insurance.
- Serve as primary contact for Convention Center, Conventions and Visitor Bureau, and Headquarters(s) hotel.
- Oversees decorating in production of overall conference design and layout, conference banners, and conference signage.
- Responsible for vendor orders for each area.
- Manages vendor selection for audio visual, shuttles, traffic control, sign language interpreters, and first aid.
- Hires, trains, and supervises temporary employees.
- Coordinates receipt and payment of all vendor invoices.
Exhibits and Show Management
- Prepare and submits request for proposals (RFPs) to prospective decorators for future bids
- Review RFP’s to identify and determine most effective and award contract to vendor.
- Works with Director of Conference Services to generate new ideas for show floor.
- Manages floor plan development and collaborates with decorator.
- Identify and implement security for meeting site.
- Logistics management for Annual Meeting.
Travel is required for this position.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Citywide conference and convention management experience required.
- Detail oriented with excellent communication, collaboration, project management, and organizational skills.
- Savvy and strong negotiating skills.
- Effective budget management a must.
- Possesses a positive attitude, flexibility, and strong work ethic.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications.
- Strong team player with the ability to multi-task and contribute high quality work in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to handle stressful situations with composure.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 4 years’ experience in conference and/or events management required.
- Experience with large conferences (8000+ attendees) preferred.
- Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) designation preferred.
NCTM is conveniently located in Reston, VA, near Metro’s Wiehle-Reston East Metro Station on the Silver Line. NCTM offers an outstanding benefits package, including 100% immediate vesting in a mandatory, generous retirement plan; comprehensive health/dental insurance; tuition assistance; free parking; and much more.
To be considered for this opportunity, please send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org , ATTN: CM-PC. Salary requirements must be submitted to be considered. Please mention where you saw this ad. No phone calls please.
NCTM is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NCTM participates in the E-Verify Employment Verification Program.