This statewide conference position requires an established level of industry knowledge and demonstrated performance in conference planning and execution. Additionally, this position requires the skills and the abilities to recognize, negotiate and maximize the value from hotels, products and partners. The incumbent's responsibilities require the incumbent to act in a discretionary capacity for management while performing under minimum supervision.
Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent may perform any combination of the tasks listed below:
Hotel Selection and Contract Negotiations
- Responsible for initial identification of training locations, facilities and lodging.
- Negotiates complex contracts with selected facilities and suppliers based on conference requirements while incorporating value added concessions and stringent CTA contract language.
Conference Logistics and Planning
- Gathers information and instruction from conference planning committees and makes recommendations regarding program, budget, site selection, contract negotiations, registration database management and logistical planning.
- Ability to work directly with planning committees, trainers, hotel staff and CTA staff to set specific goals and achieve objectives.
- Coordinates with conference hotel staff from first contact through post-conference follow-up including contracts, room scheduling, banquets, audiovisual equipment and billing.
- Responsible for the onsite logistics for each conference assigned to CCC including effectively conveying information, developing and coordinating with conference team.
- Delivers all aspects of conference registrations including online registration, reports, grants, housing, conference materials and evaluations.
- Responsible for learning, implementing and reviewing attendee eligibility procedures.
- Orchestrates the activities and needs of many different groups within each conference.
- Works with other staff at conferences and is generally responsible for the work distribution and prioritization, as directed by management, within given assignments.
- Conducts online registration training sessions for other departments and staff within CTA.
- Ability to prioritize assignments.
Financial Management and Report Writing
- Utilizes data mining to forecast conference revenues and expenditures as well as to perform data and trend analysis.
- Coordinates registration fee collection process, works with Accounting on receivables and reconciles invoices with each hotel and supplier.
- Tracks conference and reimbursable attendee expenses.
- Assists management with overall budgets and forecasting.
- Responsible for registration databases and preparation of reports.
- Prepares, as requested, reports for the CTA Board of Directors.
- Coordinates university credit and professional growth certification for conference participants; processes all applications and ensures correct submission of grade roster for university credit programs.
- Performs Other Appropriate Duties as Assigned
Qualifications - Minimum Required
- BA or BS Degree and one (1) year experience or, AA Degree and three (3) years of experience in the planning and executing of meetings at the hotel and conference management level, or, six (6) years of relevant experience.
- Highly proficient in the use of databases (including report generating functions), word processing, spreadsheets, e-mail, and conference specification design software.
- Ability to successfully multi-task, pay careful attention to detail, produce a high level of accuracy in work products, perform with a professional demeanor, and exhibit a commitment to the delivery of services.
- Demonstrated ability to write, edit and communicate effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with fellow employees in a complex interdependent departmental structure.
- Ability to work overtime and travel, including weekends.
- Ability to stand and walk for extended hours, as well as, able to carry boxes of materials, exhibits and supplies up to 30 lbs.
Desirable Additional Qualifications
- Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) certification.
- Knowledge of CTA's organization, its administrative and policy-making bodies, and program delivery structure.
*This position is in a bargaining unit represented by CAS. Salaries are established by a collective bargaining agreement. Step placement is also determined by the CTA/CAS Agreement.