International Studies Association (www.isanet.org) seeks dynamic applicants for a full-time position as a conventions and meetings event planner. Under the general supervision of the Executive Director and the Director of Operations and Finance, the incumbent will provide assistance to the Director of Conventions and Meetings in planning the Annual Convention and approximately a dozen smaller conferences throughout the year, including international events. S/he will need to apply a high degree of expertise working within the budget constraints of a 501c3. This position will serve as principal liaison between hotel/venue and clients during the planning and implementation processes. The ability to work within contract requirements and constraints with facilities and suppliers for services, in accordance with budget parameters, is required. International Studies Association is headquartered on the University of Connecticut (UConn) campus and as such will be a UConn employee with all benefits that are offered by the University.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Is responsible for coordinating all aspects of convention and meeting planning, including processing paperwork and/or records; reviews for accuracy, completeness and compliance with regulations, policies and procedures.
2. Prepares narrative and informational reports, as needed including revenue and expense analysis.
3. Serves as principal liaison between hotel/venue and clients during the planning and implementation processes
4. Works within contract requirements and constraints with facilities and suppliers for services, in accordance with budget parameters.
5. Screens correspondence for appropriate action and works with administrators to determine proper response or to resolve problems; makes referrals as appropriate.
6. Responds to requests for information and provides assistance in solving a wide variety of problems, some of which are new and unusual and require interpretation, judgment and initiative.
7. Transmits authoritative information and serves as a resource regarding all ISA conventions and meetings.
8. Frequently communicates with both ISA teams and external constituents to request or provide information or to clarify procedures.
9. Performs routine administrative functions as needed for conventions and meetings, coordinates work flow and processes administrative paperwork.
10. May be responsible for coordinating related administrative functions
11. Performs related duties as required.
1. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience, or Associates degree and four to seven years progressively responsible related experience.
2. Certified Meeting Professional.
3. Experience with budget management, including revenue and expenses analysis per event.
4. Ability to travel to and work at multiple locations both within the U.S. and internationally.
5. Ability to work at the ISA main office in Storrs, CT.
6. Ability to use new and non-standard Association Management software systems.
7. Excellent Microsoft Office skills.
8. Excellent communication and organizational skills
1. Three or more years working as a professional planner for associations, preferably non-profits.
2. Experience working with multiple affiliated groups.
This is a full-time, annually renewable position. The University offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits including employee and dependent tuition waiver at UConn.
Please visit UConn Jobs, www.jobs.uconn.edu, Staff Positions, to submit letter of interest, resume, and the names and contact information for three (3) professional references. Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search # 2018663)
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on July 12, 2018.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.