Date: August 30, 2018
Position Title: Director, Meetings
Reports To: Chief Learning Officer
ASAM is a medical professional society of over 6,000 members with a total staff of 35+ and a $10M annual operating budget. It is an energetic, fast-paced organization with multi-faceted opportunities in addiction medicine.
Director of Meetings (DoM) is responsible for the execution of all conferences,
meetings, and event activities for the organization and for meeting financial
goals for event support and exhibit activities. This role is accountable for
ensuring all meetings and conferences achieve annual goals and objectives. The
DoM is primarily responsible for the successful execution of meeting logistics,
registration and website for the ASAM Annual Conference which is a national
event with between 2,000 - 2,500 attendees and other ASAM live courses/events.
Essential to this role are the abilities to interact with staff (at all levels) in a fast-paced environment, to remain proactive, to be resourceful and efficient, and to maintain a high level of professionalism. The position requires superior organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities.
leadership and coordination for the planning and execution of the meeting
logistics for ASAM Annual Conference, Review Course, State of the Art Course and
other education or organization events as needed.
· Overall responsibility for meeting planning and logistics for events, including budget preparation and monitoring, space and site ions with outside vendor, menu selection, room set-up and food requirements, audio visual, general service company/decorator, room blocks, on-site management, transportation, etc.
· Develops and manages the meeting revenue and expense budget process, coding, and reconciliation of all final bills and assists other professional team members with budgeting, as appropriate
· Supervises and supports Meeting Manager
· Serves as liaison with third-party vendors in sourcing, contract negotiations, managing attrition, determining required space, etc.
· Manages acquisition and stewardship of event sponsors and exhibitors
· Manages registration for all events including setting up registration in membership database, preparing data reports, on-site registration, cancellations, etc.
· Collaborates closely with all members of the education department, with financial administration staff and other department staff as needed
· Support ASAM's overall goals and objectives through additional responsibilities and other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
least 7 - 10 years of progressively responsible experience in conference
· Director/assistant director experience in an association or nonprofit (preferably medical) desired
· Strong management and budgeting experience
· A Bachelor's degree required (in hospitality management preferred and/or certified meeting professional designation)
· Demonstrated understanding of hospitality industry trends, innovations, and best practices
· Extensive experience in developing and managing complex budgets and overseeing annual budget process for meetings, exhibits and sponsors
Skills and Abilities:
· Strategic thinker with an open and laborative leadership that fosters teamwork
· Strong planning and facilitation skills coupled with the ability to translate goals and eas into effective implementation
· Strong financial management and technical skills with databases
· Skilled in contract negotiation and review
· Sales or fundraising skills needed to acquire sponsors and exhibitors
· A customer-oriented attitude
· High proficiency in standard office technologies and membership database systems
· Demonstrated effective writing, communication, project management skills required, and experience writing event/marketing content for websites preferred.
Works closely with:
Learning Officer and other team members on overall education strategy and
processes for the Annual Conference and all education events
· Works with Chief Learning Officer and Associate ector, Professional ector with the management of the annual conference logistics and registration.
· With current and potential sponsors and exhibitors for events to create and maintain positive relationships and to increase revenue
· All staff on the implementation of appropriate customer service for registration processes and other meeting logistics as needed
Please submit a resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org describing your interest in the position and how your skills match the requirements.
Recruiting Salary Range: $80,000 to $90,000 (with a robust benefits package)
ASAM provides equal opportunity to all staff. No person shall be discriminated against because of race, or, religion, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, physical handicaps, marital status, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, political affiliation, or any other category that is protected by federal law or the laws of the Maryland.
ASAM is proud to be honored with the Sloan Award for Excellence in
Workplace Effectiveness and Flexibility for its use of flexibility and other
aspects of workplace effectiveness as a workplace strategy to increase business
and employee success. ASAM was one of
eight organizations and the only association to be recognized in the state of