Director, Meetings and Conventions
The American Association for Justice (AAJ) is seeking a Director of Meetings and Conventions for the Meetings department. AAJ seeks to promote a fair and effective civil justice system—and to support the work of attorneys in their efforts to ensure that any person who is injured by the misconduct or negligence of others can obtain justice in America’s courtrooms, even when taking on the most powerful interests. This position reports to the Chief Marketing Officer and supervises a staff of three.
The Director of Meetings and Conventions is responsible for full execution of all aspects of AAJ conventions and events. Partner with senior executives to develop planning, logistical, and budgetary strategies. Ensure conventions, meetings and events achieve organizational goals and objectives.
• Direct and supervise Meetings and Conventions Department staff.
• Oversee all operations in relation to AAJ Conventions and meetings.
• Review meetings, housing, travel policies/ procedures and make necessary recommendations if appropriate.
• Maintain and expand hospitality industry liaisons.
• Prepare and develop meeting tools, e.g. timelines, budgets, task delineations, program outlines, files and meeting specifications.
• Develop all policies and procedures and reporting mechanisms for registration, housing, food and beverage events, meeting attendance, travel and ancillary group meetings/functions.
• Direct efforts of Meetings staff providing support to internal AAJ departments.
• Direct and oversee NCA Education programs contracting and operations.
• Evaluate site selection process and identify site requirements for each convention.
• Prepare and disseminate bids for all meeting sites and suppliers.
• Analyze and evaluate proposals and select best qualified and most cost-effective providers of services and sites.
• Conduct site inspections resulting in detailed reports and recommendations.
• Negotiate the best terms possible and finalize all contractual agreements.
• Serve as main contact for all logistical support with suppliers and staff for Conventions.
• Ensure all relevant departments are fully engaged from the start of a meeting cycle, understanding key metrics such as promotional timing and attendance goals.
• Oversee department promotional and marketing program for Conventions.
• Direct Housing process and liaise with outside travel agency.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• At least ten years meeting planning and exposition management at the national level.
• Prior management and supervisory experience.
• Association experience preferred.
• Strong organizational and communications skills.
• Demonstrated innovation in convention management and implementation.
• High attention to detail, adherence to deadlines/timelines and ability to motivate others related to timelines.
• Knowledge of best practices in convention and meeting management.
• Experience preparing and managing budgets.
• Adept at contract negotiation with thorough knowledge of legal issues and contract language in the hospitality industry.
• Experience managing multiple events outside of conventions: education programs, BOG meetings, membership events, and special events.
• Experience managing vendors and contractors related to convention and meeting management.
• Experience with survey and/or polling tools for meeting evaluations preferred.
• Ability to prioritize and balance numerous tasks with accuracy and speed and maintain composure under pressure.
• Poised and experienced manager, team-builder and problem solver.
• CMP preferred.
AAJ offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits. Please email cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org . EOE.