The International Tourism Sales Manager - Asia will be responsible for increasing the number of international overnight leisure visitors to Washington, DC through direct and indirect sales and promotions, with main focus on Asian market, primarily China.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (include the following, but are not limited to)
1. Attend appropriate international travel trade shows on behalf of DDC and CRUSA to meet with major producers/sellers of leisure travel business and to continually promote Washington, DC as a destination for individual and group travel. Handle all special requests, compile sales leads, follow- up on marketing opportunities and all additional follow-up to these shows.
2. Prospect, develop and establish new travel trade customers in the China market and develop a working action plan to maximize visitation to Washington, DC year-round through cooperative marketing projects, sales missions, tradeshows and other sales activities.
3. Identify and assist secondary feeder markets for potential growth and market changes.
4. Sell Washington, DC as a long-haul destination to all prospective clients through various marketing and promotion initiatives including but not limited to: airline programs, joint destination promotions, travel trade promotions and special events, etc.
5. Meet defined goals and objective outlines annually.
6. Maintain and increase tour operator partnerships to include facilitation of training programs, familiarization tours, incentive contests, special packages and promotional literature.
7. Make individual, periodic sales calls and presentations in designated markets on behalf of DDC and CRUSA to familiarize buyers, DDC members and destination partners with the latest developments, promotional opportunities and hospitality services in Washington, DC. Provide subscribers with marketing opportunities based on these sales calls
8. Serve as a liaison for DDC’s overseas international representatives in the China, in conjunction with the Associate Direct of Tourism
9. Maintain database and trace files of major international group and FIT tour organizations to be traced for direct contact and/or mailings and produce as-needed reports of sales activities.
10. Assist with organization and execution of qualified familiarization tours for major international buyers/travel wholesalers and assist airlines and hotel corporations as requested.
11. Participate and service client/member special requests and attend local, regional and national hospitality industry functions and organizations as appropriate.
12. Travel internationally and stay abreast of industry trends and conditions
Experience, Competencies & Education
1. Minimum two years management experience in the travel trade industry plus direct experience in tourism promotion management.
2. Bachelor’s Degree (B.S./B.A.) from four-year college or university in marketing, business or tourism required.
3. Spoken and written knowledge of Mandarin required
4. Ability to read, analyze, articulate and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals and technical procedures.
5. Superior organizational and communication skills and attention to detail
6. Willingness to work evenings and weekends; willingness to travel frequently
7. Extensive knowledge of and enthusiasm for city and facilities.
8. Technical proficiency with Microsoft Office, social media platforms (WeChat, Weibo) and destination management software systems required.
9. Must be able to legally work in the United States of America.
Accountabilities & Measures
Periodic performance evaluations gauging quantitative and qualitative performance against identified goals.
Americans with Disabilities Specifications
The physical demands here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing most of the duties of this job, the employee may not be exposed to weather condition. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.