About the Position:
The Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA) is seeking a manager of conference and event services. The successful candidate should be able to work independently, juggle multiple issues, tasks and responsibilities at a time, and enjoy working in a team environment. CVSA has a small but dedicated staff and the organization is looking to add someone who is driven with a dedication to member service to our energetic, busy team. The ideal candidate will have 5-7 years of conference and event planning experience within the nonprofit community, with either an association or an association management company. The manager of conference and event services will report directly to the deputy executive director. This position, while more mid-level in nature, has the opportunity and potential for growth in both the short and long-term.
This position is responsible for the daily operations of CVSA meeting services and oversees all aspects of logistical planning of conferences, workshops, meetings, events and activities, including budgets and contract negotiations. The ideal candidate will possess business acumen, project management skills, exceptional interpersonal skills and a strong familiarity with best practices within the meetings industry.
• Directs and determines site, space, transportation, administrative and vendor support requirements for all CVSA conferences, workshops, meetings, events and activities
• Directly negotiates and manages hotel and convention center contracts for all meeting functions, events and activities
• Manages the request for proposal (RFP) process and the negotiations for the selection of vendors such as audio visual, registration and housing, show decorators, security, etc.
• Once selected, manages all aspects of the vendor relationships
• Oversees and provides on-site management for several aspects of CVSA conferences, workshops, meetings, events and activities
• Conducts and manages pre- and post-convention meetings with hotels and convention center for all conferences, workshops, meetings, events and activities
• Establishes timelines for all logistical aspects for all CVSA conferences, workshops, meetings, events and activities
• Oversees all logistical aspects of CVSA meetings – space requirements, food and beverage, audio visual, VIP arrangements, processing of event registration and final invoice reconciliation, etc.
• Responsible for event set-up and oversight within an association management system
• Develops budgets for all CVSA meetings. Monitors budgets and provides periodic forecasting
• Assists with the development of procedures and policies for all CVSA conferences, workshops, meetings, events and activities
• Travel to CVSA conferences, workshops, meetings, events and activities, is required
• Other duties as assigned by the deputy executive director
• Bachelor’s degree
• CMP designation preferred
• 5-7 years of experience, preferably within the nonprofit community (i.e., an association or an association management company)
• Demonstrated abilities in developing and maintaining effective, positive working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
• Good organizational abilities, including the ability to manage a number of activities in a fast-paced and challenging environment
• Strong project management skills, including: planning, scheduling and communication
• Extensive meeting planning experience, including the management of midsize meetings
• Experience with meeting and event database management (i.e., an association management system)
• Exhibition management experience
• Sponsorship management experience
• Solid track record in hotel, convention center and vendor contract negotiations
• Strong destination and property knowledge
• Ability to provide exceptional customer service
• Ability to prepare, justify and maintain meeting and event budgets
• Understanding of supplier marketplace
• Awareness of emerging trends and practices in the meetings industry
• Ability to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously
• Strong attention to details and deadlines
• Exceptional verbal, written, listening and interpersonal skills
• Team orientated
• Ability to travel
The salary for this position is commensurate with experience, plus benefits.
Please submit your resume with a cover letter explaining why you are interested in the manager of conference and event services position, why you are qualified and your salary requirements to email@example.com. Applications are due April 16, 2018.