The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), the nation’s leading advocacy organization for children’s healthcare, is seeking a collaborative leader to manage the planning and implementation of all headquarter hotel meeting activities for the AAP National Conference and Exhibition (NCE). Provide leadership and guidance for all vendors and staff at the headquarters hotel, plus oversee the hotel contracting and logistical planning and execution for assigned Continuing Medical Education (CME) courses.
Some duties will include:
1. Serve as primary contact for all headquarter hotel planning specifications including the assignment of space, preparing floor plans, signage, special events, keynote speakers, offices and educational sessions. Manage external vendors and internal teams.
2. Negotiate all NCE headquarter hotel contracts. Create strong relationships with top level hotel sales directors.
3. Provide meeting planning support and strategic guidance to AAP staff. Serve as liaison to key groups.
4. Oversee the review of all headquarter hotel invoices to include food & beverage, room charges, ground transportation and audio visual. Investigate discrepancies, code, and facilitate payment.
5. Work with Director, Meeting Services to support the housing functions of the NCE.
6. Supervise all NCE consultants and team members at the headquarters hotel and provide training sessions and materials for all floor supervisors.
7. Assist in creating future NCE destination RFP’s and participate in site-selection process.
8. Assist in developing, monitoring, and updating the NCE budgets. Develop reports and analyze data as requested.
9. Research and implement advances in technologies or other tools to improve efficiency and/or provide new revenue streams to the AAP.
Qualified candidates will possess:
1. Five years’ or more related meeting planning experience required, including hotel logistics, managing meeting specifications, contract negotiation, meeting management, vendor management, staffing, and budget management.
2. Bachelor’s degree in hospitality management, communications, business, or related field, or an equivalent combination of relevant education and work experience required.
3. Professional designation (CMP, CAE) preferred.
4. Experience with city-wide conventions and working in an association preferred.
5. Must be self-motivated, creative, detail-oriented and able to manage multiple priorities simultaneously, lead teams, independently manage workload, and collaborate effectively with various internal and external constituents.
6. Excellent communication, interpersonal, negotiation, diplomacy, organizational, and project management skills essential.
7. Frequent travel and weekend work required.
To learn more about the organization, see a full job description, and/or apply for the position, please visit https://www.aap.org/employment.
The AAP offers an excellent work environment, competitive salary, and a comprehensive benefits package. As a reaffirmation to our employee-focused culture, since 2005 the AAP has been named one of the 101 Best and Brightest Companies to Work for in the Chicagoland area. Additionally, we are an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Individuals with Disabilities, and Veterans that values the strength diversity brings to our workplace.
Reasonable Accommodation: Individuals with a disability in need of a reasonable accommodation regarding the job application process may call 847-434-7012. Please note, only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will receive a response.