The American Astronomical Society (AAS), established in 1899 and based in Washington, DC, is the major organization of professional astronomers in North America. Its membership of about 7,000 individuals also includes physicists, mathematicians, geologists, engineers, and others whose research and educational interests lie within the broad spectrum of subjects comprising contemporary astronomy. The mission of the AAS is to enhance and share humanity's scientific understanding of the universe.
As part of its mission to enhance and share humanity's scientific understanding of the universe, the AAS facilitates meeting of astronomers. The Society meets twice per year, once in January and once in June, while also organizing the meetings of each of its six topical Divisions A new program, the , now enables the Society to select and host topically interesting conferences of current interest. In addition, the Society offers its substantial meeting-organization capabilities to the community at large and welcomes queries from scientists and institutions that would like to organize a meeting and would benefit from having the Society handle the logistical details.
AAS has an opening for a Meeting Services Specialist reporting to the Director of Meeting Services. This is an exciting opportunity for a meetings professional with at least four years' experience in the meeting or convention industry or experience with event/meeting planning.
The right candidate will have:
- A strong knowledge of hotel contracts, room block commitments and financial impact of those contracts as it relates to group housing commitments.
- Strong database experience
- Be an expert in Microsoft Office, especially in Excel
- Experience using Gmail and Google Docs
- Able to maintain high quality standards and meet deadlines under a heavy workload; able to work independently with minimal supervision as well as in a team environment, and use independent judgment in addressing competing priorities
- Experience in association, academic or science setting; experience working with volunteer leadership
- Ability to travel for multiple meetings per year.
If you have:
- Experience with iMIS membership database and Crystal Reporting
- Are strong with PC database systems
- Have used Drupal or similar tool
- And have worked with online Abstract Submission and Invitation Systems including ScholarOne currently
To Apply: Please submit your resume and cover letter for consideration.
Equal Opportunity Employer