The International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis (ISTH) is a global not-for-profit membership organization advancing the understanding, prevention, diagnosis and treatment of thrombotic and bleeding disorders. The Society is dedicated to transformative scientific discoveries and clinical practices, the development of young professionals and the education of physicians, scientists and allied health professionals wherever they may live. At the ISTH, we initiate and promote education and outreach initiatives, research activities, scientific meetings, peer-reviewed publications, expert committees and the development of standards allowing a common language and approach to basic and clinical science all over the world. Our organization is based in Carrboro, North Carolina, near the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill campus.
The Meetings Coordinator provides logistical support for all ISTH Meetings and Events. This position functions as a key logistic and vendor relations coordinator working with the Director of Meetings and Meeting Managers in supporting the volunteer leadership to produce meetings that deliver the mission and vision of the society. In addition to direct event logistics, the Meetings Coordinator is responsible for several departmental administrative management duties that support the Meetings team.
The ISTH Meetings Coordinator is a new role to our Meetings division, and the successful candidate will be independently motivated with extensive meeting planning and implementation experience. Ideally the candidate’s meeting experience is with nonprofit associations in the medical or international fields. This talented professional will possess strong attention to detail and be highly responsive to Society members and their needs, helping to support and usher meeting work. In addition, the candidate has the ability to build productive working relationships within ISTH staff as well as ISTH leadership, members, and all meeting partners.
· Assist in planning and execution of ISTH meetings
· Provide support to Meeting President’s/LOC in all meeting matters
· Coordinate administrative support to Director of Meetings and Meetings Managers as assigned
· Work with assigned Professional Conference Organizer (PCO)/Designated Management Company (DMC) to ensure effective/efficient communications and work flow related to meeting activities
· Coordinate committee teleconferences and internal team meetings (timing, system, invitations); disseminating agendas, taking minutes and materials are provided as necessary
· Compile Meeting Request for Proposals (RFPs) from Convention and Visitor Bureaus (CVBs)/Congress Centers and hotel partners
· Create or update meeting logistics documents under the supervision and guidance of Meeting Managers and Director of Meetings (i.e. timelines, room pick-up reports, registration reports, VIP lists, contracts, vendor information)
· Support the functions and communications to a variety of vendors such as Venues, Hotels, Audio Visual, F&B, and Decorators
· Assist with logistical management and services for the Meetings and Congresses such as affiliated events, banquet event orders and signage
· Draft resume/set up guide for meetings
· Coordinate Ordering Awards
· Assist in the compilation of materials for CME applications
· Prepare meeting related reports
· Update and maintain the Society’s meetings vendor database
· Produce internal office events as they arise
· Coordinate team meetings, take and distribute notes
· Answer department telephones, route calls and handle requests for general information
· Manage meeting supplies inventory; placing orders for or purchasing meeting supplies as needed as well as preparing meeting supplies for shipping onsite
· Assist with special projects as assigned
Skills, Abilities and Knowledge Required:
· Problem solving and organizational skills, analytical thinking, attention to detail, and ability to work on tasks independently as well as collaboratively in a team environment
· Ability to organize competing priorities, follow through on tasks, and handle different stages of multiple meetings simultaneously
· Comfortable and proficient in communicating with high-level professionals including volunteer leadership, members, industry professionals and vendors
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office with strong Excel skills required; experience working with databases, project management software, registration and association management systems (AMS) preferred
· Knowledge of abstract submission processes is a plus
· Ability to operate with minimal direction or oversight; independently prioritize, organize and manage tasks and projects
· Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages and currency conversions
· Knowledge of meeting industry terminology and knowledge of meeting planning processes
· Understand basic requirements of CME and PHARMA guidelines
· Demonstrated ability to learn and adapt to changing procedures, methods or processes
· Strong and proven multicultural sensitivity
· Bi- or multi-lingual is a significant plus
· Ability and willingness to travel internationally (maximum 1 or 2 times a year)
· Associate’s degree; Bachelor’s degree prefered
· At least 1-2 years of professional meeting planning experience; preferably with an international scientific society/organization
- Professional-level meetings commitment, including some evenings and weekends consistent with timing of meeting,s and related preparation and execution
- Ability to travel internationally
· Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) designation is a plus
· Full-time exempt position (40 hours/week)
· This job operates in a clerical office setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing
· This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary
· Ability and willingness to occasionally travel domestically and internationally as needed
- This position is located in the Carrboro, North Carolina office.
· ISTH offers competitive salaries based on the experience and skills of employees. Additionally, ISTH provides a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, 403b match, ancillary benefits, access to Flexible Spending Accounts, and generous leave benefits.
· Please send your resume and cover letter in attachment form to email@example.com with the subject line, “ISTH Meeting Coordinator” Only competitive candidates will be contacted and invited to participate in the selection process. No phone calls please. Applications are accepted until the position is filled.