The Geological Society of America, located in Boulder, Colorado, seeks a Meetings Coordinator I. This is a highly visible role which demands extensive customer service skills, a high level of professionalism and willingness to handle registration, field trips, and meeting logistics for GSA’s Section Meetings. This position will also assist with the GSA Annual Meeting and will work closely with GSA staff, volunteers, and elected leadership to produce successful meetings for GSA.
- Coordinates all meeting logistics with GSA Section Meeting Chairs in a timely manner in order to assure quality meetings.
- Assures follow-through on all aspects of section meeting contracts, with regards to deposits, room block reports, and insurance.
- Reviews and provides assistance with the building of section meeting budgets.
- Obtain vendor quotes and coordinate selection of vendors needed for meetings with Meeting Chairs. Oversees the contracted vendors until meeting is completed.
- For assigned section meetings, coordinates student travel grants directly with the Section Secretary and assures process is completed prior to section meeting in order to double-check addresses on site, and mail checks immediately after meeting.
- Attend assigned section meetings to handle registration, coordinate with vendors, handle meeting logistics, and attend to other on-site section meeting related items as needed.
- Schedule and attend pre-convention meetings on behalf of GSA and the GSA Section to assure all meeting details have been covered.
- Reviews all invoices along with Section Meeting Chair, obtains proper approval for invoices, collects any outstanding funds, and works with internal GSA Staff to reconcile section meeting accounts.
- Other duties as assigned per section meeting.
- Responsible for sign making/printing for technical session signs as well as other signs.
- Coordinate Annual Meeting Program Book with editorial staff, and circulate page proofs to others in the department.
- Travel to, and work, at annual meeting. Includes assisting in registration area, and also in a support staff capacity as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
Other Department Responsibilities
- Pick up and distribute Meeting Department mail, from the GSA Mail Distribution Center.
- Reviews the GSA Meetings Inbox on a daily basis, and pass along emails to appropriate people.
- Coordinate GSA Today and GSA Connection with editorial staff, and circulate page proofs to others in the department.
- Communicate with GSA members and non-members on various requests for information, and other inquiries.
- Compile and maintain departmental and technical statistic reports pertaining to section meetings and annual meetings.
- Coordinate and prepare departmental email blasts to GSA members and non-members.
- Communicate with GSA members and non-members on various requests for information regarding section meetings, annual meetings, and other meetings as assigned.
Job Qualifications Knowledge, Skill and Ability
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Three years in a team-oriented, professional business environment.
- Two years event or logistical planning.
- Working knowledge and trouble-shooting experience with standard office equipment.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Products (Word, Excel, Access) and Google products (Gmail, Google Drive); knowledge of iMIS and Adobe Illustrator a plus.
- Ability to multi-task, balance several projects, organize and set own work priorities with proven ability to follow through on details and work in progress.
- Ability to make independent decisions and use sound judgment; ability to establish, track and meet deadlines.
- Ability to communicate with scientists and other professionals in a business environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently to complete repetitive clerical tasks.
- Ability to perform well in time-pressured environment with many interruptions.
- Professional behavior and appearance required.
- Tactful, discreet, sound personal and business ethics.
Working Environment/Physical Activities
- Extensive computer work. Sitting several (more than 4) hours at a time.
- Moving and lifting luggage, computer equipment, and supply boxes that could weigh more than 20 pounds.
- Standing and walking for long periods of time while on-site at meetings, working up to 12–14 hours per day if necessary.
- Travel to annual meeting for up to 10 days once each year. Travel to assigned Section Meetings each year (2–3 meetings for 4–6 days each), and other travel as necessary.
- Many deadlines and time constraints.
- Overtime work required periodically.
To be considered for this job, please provide resume and professional references. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Geological Society of America
3300 Penrose Place
P.O. Box 9140
Boulder, CO 80301
Note: The application deadline is 28 March 2018. GSA is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer - Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled