About the ISTH
Founded in 1969, the ISTH is the leading worldwide not-for-profit organization dedicated to advancing the understanding, prevention, diagnosis and treatment of thrombotic and bleeding disorders. ISTH is an international professional membership organization with 4,000 clinicians, researchers and educators working together to improve the lives of patients in more than 93 countries around the world. Among its highly regarded activities and initiatives are education and standardization programs such as its Core Curriculum, research activities; meetings and congresses, peer-reviewed publications, expert committees and World Thrombosis Day on 13 October. Visit ISTH online at www.isth.org.
The Meeting Manager is an experienced meeting professional with strong organizational skills and attention to detail. The Meeting Manager is responsible for all aspects of meeting planning; from site selection and contract negotiations through on-site event management for a full range of international meetings and congresses varying in size from 25 to 8,500 delegates.
- Interface with local meeting Presidents and other volunteer leadership, and provides advice and support as needed for other Society events
- Research and recommend meeting related activities that support objectives including development of RFP’s
- Assist in negotiating and managing vendors and contracts
- Assist in developing and maintaining meeting timelines and work plans
- Coordinate logistics planning including “state of the art” - current meeting technologies (live streaming, content capture, mobile ap, etc.) speaker engagement, food and beverage menu selections, air and ground transportation arrangements, registration and housing processes and audiovisual/technical needs
- Prepare meeting specifications and set-up guides
- Coordinate and manage pre-planning meetings with project team, coordinate all information for meetings and events and disseminate appropriately
- Prepare meeting budgets between $100,000 and in excess of 10 million, while working in multiple currencies. Track meeting and event expenditures and make suggestions to stay within or below budget.
- Prepare and compile routine and ad hoc status reports on group activities, such as meeting statistics and metrics
- Provide onsite management of meetings and events to include oversight of vendors
- Complete post-event tasks including reconciliation of expenses, evaluation of event and report on meeting results
- Work with PCO/DMC as assigned
- Manage CME accreditation process
- Facilitate comprehensive and complete communication between departments, clients, vendors, exhibitors to maintain quality value add client service
- Coordinate and delegate to the team tasks as required
Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge Required:
- Problem solving and organizational skill, analytical thinking, attention to detail, and ability to work on tasks independently as well as collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to organize competing priorities, follow through on tasks, and handle different stages of multiple meetings simultaneously
- Comfortable and proficient in communicating with high-level professionals including volunteer leadership, members, industry professionals and vendors
- Expertise and knowledge of meeting planning terminolgy, trends, and best practices (specific medical/scientific meeting expertise preferred). This is including current technoloiges being utilized in the congress/conference environment.
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office required; experience working with databases, project management software and association management systems (AMS) preferred
- Knowledge of abstract submission processes
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages and currency conversions
- Demonstrate ability to learn and adapt to changing procedures, methods or processes
- Strong and proven multicultural sensitivity
- Bi- or multi-lingual is a significant plus
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, creative, strategic, and highly organized
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Five+ years experience in meeting planning, ideally with an international medical/scientific organizations
- Proficiency in a language other than English a plus
- CMP or similar designation preferred
Full-time exempt position (40 hours/week)
Willing to travel weekend and holidays
Position based out of Carrboro NC, or remote location.