Job: Transportation Specialist
Area: Meetings and Events
Reports to: Manager, Housing, Registration and Transportation Services
Rotary is 1.2 million inspired business and professional leaders, in 35,000 Rotary clubs and more than 200 geographical areas united daily across cultures and occupations addressing illiteracy, disease, hunger, poverty, and lack of clean water. The fervent idea exchange celebrates diverse perspectives and facilitates positive change. Passion and engagement abound at Rotary International. In exchange for hard work and dedication, our employees are rewarded with competitive salaries, flexible schedules, comprehensive benefits, and job enrichment. We offer all this and more. Come join us. Visit www.rotary.org to learn more.
Rotary's Commitment to Diversity
One of Rotary's values is diversity, which we define as embracing diversity in thought, culture, and perspective. As such, we welcome and encourage highly-qualified candidates with diverse experiences and backgrounds to apply.
Oversee vendor specifications, bid process and analysis and liaising on contracts for transportation, and risk management for the RI Council on Legislation, Convention and Assembly, and other meetings as assigned. Responsible for budgeting and forecasting and final reconciliation for transportation and related expenses. Responsible for project management, development, risk assessment and implementation of venue risk assessment, crowd control and shuttle services for the RI Council on Legislation, Convention and Assembly. Primary liaison to selected transportation vendor, internal and external volunteers, private tour groups and the convention city Host Organization for event transportation needs.
Bachelor's degree in Business, management, transportation industry field, or relevant work experience required.
Knowledge and Skills
- 3+ years' minimum experience in the meetings industry, with specific knowledge in shuttle transportation and crowd management.
- Experience with managing large crowd management functions and complex transportation systems, in both international and domestic locations.
- Ability and willingness to travel both domestically and internationally (15-20% annually).
- Experience as an events planner or organizer
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment and has a strong work ethic that does not require daily supervision or oversight
- Strong interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with Rotarian leadership, volunteer executive leadership, internal and external contacts
- Computer literate, with working knowledge or better skills with Microsoft Office Suite, Sharepoint, internet research and mapping
- Proven negotiation skills, self-motivated and competitive spirit
- Listening, perseverance, good verbal skills, & positive attitude
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, organizational and administrative skills.
- Budgeting skills.
- Project management skills.
- Working knowledge of applicable contract law and risk management principles
- Analytical capacity, problem solving and independent decision making skills
- CMP certification.
- Researches potential transportation vendors and initiates, negotiates and implements those vendor contracts for all RI Council on Legislation, Convention and Assembly transportation-related tasks, including shuttle routes, airport transfers, leadership transfers, spouse tours, donor recognition events, ancillary functions, off-site events and sponsorship, when applicable.
- Analyzes all proposals, schedules and presentations from designated transportation vendor for review and approval of RI management and leadership.
- Manages vendors and various stakeholders, including but not limited to local city authorities, police, department of transportation entities and special event managers, in the planning stage and on-site to ensure safe and timely delivery of transportation management plan for each event.
- Manages special transportation needs for leadership offices for the RI Council on Legislation, Convention and Assembly with transportation vendor.
- Acts as liaison to the local host organizations with regards to leadership transportation, airport transportation and welcoming committees, and host off-site event transportation needs.
- Develops and writes outline for annual Transportation Guide for each convention city.
- Supervises transportation vendor personnel on-site, for RI Council on Legislation, Convention and Assembly to ensure delivery of all contracted shuttle services, as required.
- Reviews transportation final invoice charges during the Council on Legislation, the Convention and Assembly. Works with other staff as needed to reconcile all transportation accounts.
- Conducts risk assessment of all main convention venues in consultation with ME/Logistics and RI's Risk Manager. Identifies life safety and public health concerns and recommends corrective measures and practical contingency plans.
- Liaises with venue staff to prepare for an operational ingress and egress plan for attendees, vendors, Rotary Senior Leaders, VIP's, entertainers and RI staff.
- Assists with the development of emergency management plan, emergency evacuation plan and communication management as it pertains to transportation.
- Other duties as assigned by ME300 department manager.
- Participates in site visits, convention and assembly committee meetings working in conjunction with vendors, volunteers and related staff, as required.
- Understands and writes individual reports via SAP Business Objects to extract helpful attendee housing data used to plan transportation.
- Contributes to preparation of monthly and quarterly reports on department activities for the ME300 department manager.
- Aids in development of department office manuals, RI Council on Legislation, Convention and Assembly manuals as necessary.
- Develops and maintains resource/historical electronic files for all vendor, transportation, and related logistical items for future reporting.
- Assists the ME300 department manager with other projects, as assigned.
- Exhibits an attitude of professionalism, service and laboration within the Meetings and Events Department, the RI Secretariat and the community at large in support of the Secretariat and Rotary Internationals Strategic Plan and Mission.
- Manages the budgeting, forecasting and monitoring payment of USD $1.2 - $2,535,000 for transportation service expenses annually for the International Assembly and the Convention.
- Manages the budgeting, forecasting and monitoring payment of USD $35,000 for transportation service expenses every 3rd year for the Council on Legislation.
- Able to sit, stand, or walk for extended periods of time
- Able to travel* for extended periods of time
- Able to lift a minimum of 5lbs
- May be required to work outdoors, which may include inclement weather
* Travel may include but not be limited to sitting in an airplane, train, bus or other of transportation in order to get to a predetermined location.
Rotary Senior Leaders, Rotary Convention Host Organization committee members, Rotary Convention and Assembly committee members which support RI's meetings, Management and various staff in Finance, Programs, Communications, Corporate Services, Legal, Risk Management, MIS, Leadership Education & Training, Public Relations, Presidential Support, The Rotary Foundation, Production, Membership Development and Support and Distribution Center.
Contracted and potential vendors, venue management staff, convention and visitor's bureau staff, transportation vendors, city and government officials and police as related to implementation of transportation management plan, as appropriate.
Laptop, Internet, Telephone, Fax Machine, Copy Machine, 2-way radio